- 2022 Great Class Challenge: 16-20 May May 16, 2022
- Spotlight on 96ers Leading the Way: CAPT Dave Pollard May 16, 2022
- Brian Facquet Named to City & State’s Agriculture Power 50 (bonus Podcast) October 3, 2021
- New ’96 Hour: Tune in 24 September with Jenn Campbell and Patrick Shearon September 21, 2021
- Memorial Service for Mike ‘Gibby’ Gibson Held in Oklahoma on 18 September September 21, 2021
- In the News: Clint Tracy on Service and Being Overseas during a Pandemic September 16, 2021
- CAPT Tim Kinsella on Pensacola and the Boat School’s Impact September 16, 2021
- August Heralds a New Season of The New ’96 Hour September 16, 2021
- In the News: Two 96ers Among 2021 Navy Rugby HOF Inductees July 25, 2021
- Get Your Class Gear: Last Day to Order 18 July July 16, 2021
- 25th Reunion (10)
- 30th Reunion (2)
- 96 in the News (31)
- Announcements (30)
- Army-Navy (9)
- Class Project (14)
- Events (41)
- From the Yard (36)
- History and Traditions (4)
- Memorial (13)
- Networking (27)
- The New '96 Hour (9)
- Uncategorized (1)
Most Used Tages
Search the 1996 Site
Email sent via Classmail 7/13/2021
Several things to update everyone on
First off, I would like to announce the results of our Class Election!
- Westin Room Block– Our room block at the Westin is full. The committee tried to hit the sweet spot on reserved room and not incuring financial responsibility for unbooked rooms. (There have been stories of reunions having to cover empty rooms)
- Online store– It will close Sun July 18th. This will ensure all items are received by the reunion. Based on feedback, Tony Yanero will evaluate the cost, quality, and availability of items to determine if we will stick with the same company. Go to http://www.usnaclasstore.
com/96store.html to order your ’96 Gear!
- Sponsors– If you know of any classmate, their company, or some other company that might be interested in sponsoring an event, please reach out to Thomas Leahy. There is the networking event, tailgate, fun run, etc… They have not worked out the actual mechanics yet but are exploring how we might be able to make our event even better with some sponsors. We might do signs, or something like “This Tailgate is brought to you by COMPANY X”.
- Fun Run– We had a much larger level of interest in this than we expected. The Committee is working with USNA on options. Considerations are weekend traffic, safety, getting on base, parking, and so on. Stand by for more information.
- Schedule update– Please note that a few things have moved in time and location. They will continue to update the SOE on the registration site.
- Registration– It is still open. At the moment, there is a planned price increase on 1 Aug.
We are doing fairly well on our class gift and will continue raising funds through this reunion out to our 30th reunion. If you would like to setup a monthly donation, reach out to Brian Reardon to get details. email@example.com
As you retire
Email sent via Classmail 6/18/2021
Time for a Reunion update from Thomas Leahy:
- FYI, our numbers are looking pretty good (currently 276 classmates are attending) but we still need some more people to register to meet our assumptions on pricing.
- The Reunion Committee has certain costs that are by head (e.g., food) and certain ones that are spread across registrations (e.g., security and the tailgate tent). If we don’t get enough people, then the Committee will have to cut back on some of those fixed costs.
- There are about 40 people that registered but didn’t actually checkout/pay. Thomas sent you all an email so if you aren’t coming, just we can track headcount.
- The price will increase again 1 July.
- If you are having finance issues and that is the only thing keeping you from attending, please contact Thomas to discuss options.
- The MD Governor is rescinding all COVID restrictions as of 1 July. So there will be minimal impact to our activities.
FRIDAY NIGHT RECEPTION
- Lots of questions about what will be provided Fri night. The short answer is open bar and food options/carving stations. Exact menu items will be providing as we get closer and things firm up.
- There are still seats and standing tix available.
- Reminder that you do not need a football ticket to get into the tailgate.
- Our block closes at the end of June.
- There are very few rooms left.
- on July 10, we will release any remaining rooms back to the Westin.
- Class store is still open. http://www.usnaclasstore.com/
- Order by 18 July!
- Don’t forget to vote for your Executive Steering Committee. Only a few weeks left.
Registration is open for the 2021 SAGS, which will be held virtually on 15 June. SAGS is open to all graduates of all five US Service Academies, as well as spouses/partners and guests of attending graduates. This summit will not be recorded, so the only way to participate or hear the dialogue is to do so live/day of event. Join the conference virtually and hear from speakers including Superintendent VADM Sean Buck ’83, USN; Former Superintendent VADM Walter “Ted” Carter ’81, USN (Ret.); VADM John Bird ’71, USN (Ret.); MajGen Charles F. Bolden Jr. ’68, USMC (Ret.); and LtGen Lori Reynolds ’86, USMC. This summit will bring together a diverse group of leaders and experts to share and engage with the audience on the broad topic of today’s extraordinary challenges, needs and opportunities. Learn more and register here.
Happy June everyone! Hope everyone had a safe and memorable Memorial Day Weekend. I live close enough to hear the memorial gun salutes at Arlington, which was a wonderful reminder to pause and pay tribute to those who have gone before us. As of today, we’re in the June price zone for reunion registration, so if you have not made your plans yet to join us in September, now is the time to do so! The next incremental price increase occurs on 1 July. The tiered pricing is designed to incentivize early sign up. This allows us to put down deposits and lock in the best pricing, which is largely dependent on how many folks we can muster. There is an option during the registration process to break up the payment. Please reach out to Thomas Leahy directly if you are have a financial hardship (firstname.lastname@example.org) and need assistance. This is a come one, come all event – and while the committee has done their best to keep costs low, the reality is things do not come cheap in Annapolis.
A few other reunion notes —
- The online merchandise store will reopen on 13 June. Items ordered this summer will arrive prior to the reunion. Contact Tony Yanero with questions.
- There are still rooms available in the hotel block. We will start dialing back the room numbers to remove risk of us having to cover unbooked room.
- There will be some slight schedule tweaks coming out (networking event and Class Business meeting times/locations).
Hope to see you in September!
Email sent via Classmail 5/18/21
Class of 96,
The 25th Reunion Committee is happy to announce that our registration portal is now open. A dedicated group of volunteers has put in countless hours to plan a fun series of events for Sept 10 – 12th. We hope that you join us for a memorable weekend.
Class of 96 Registration link: https://www.signupnow.events/Default.aspx?OrgId=1041&OrgName=USNA1996&eid=1060
We encourage you to sign up early so the funds collected can be used to put deposits down on vendors.
All information should be found on that website but please reach out to me or to the reunion committee with any specific questions.
Please share with any 7th-12th graders, parents, teachers, and counselors!
Don’t miss the Virtual Information Session for the US Naval Academy — one week from today! Speakers will discuss what life is like on the Yard, how to navigate the application & nomination process, career opportunities available upon graduation, and what parents need to know throughout this process. This session is hosted by the Greater DC area Alumni Association but it is open to ALL who are interested in the Naval Academy.
Email sent via Classmail 12/24/2020
Due to the recently updated football schedule, the USAF game has moved from to Sep 11, 2021 to align with the 20-year Remembrance of the 9/11 attacks. At the moment, there is no scheduled game at USNA 3 Oct (a location and opponent are TBD).
We have considered several options and decided to move our 25-Year reunion to align with the USAF game 10-12 Sep 2021.
We all remember the heat from the 20th reunion and attempted to avoid the same risk this time. Our Friday venue will be much larger to accommodate the crowd and will investigate options to cool people down at the tailgate.
The attached Schedule of Events goes into more detail on the weekend. Standby for event registration to go live around Memorial Day. Based on feedback from last reunion, we will be doing á la carte registration fees.
Here is the link that will take you to our Westin room block.
** I will also remind everyone that given our current status, making any non-refundable deposits or bookings is done so at your own risk. While I hope we are back to normal by the fall, anything is possible.
Our reunion committee (led by Thomas Leahy) has scrambled this week and done a great job at rebooking and coordinating the switch. Thank you all very much.
GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
From the USNA Alumni Association: We are looking for the best design to use as our Army-Navy button this year. Navy fans are an amazing, creative, spirit-loving group—so show us what you got! Make it fun and eye-catching, family-friendly and all about NAVY! If your button is selected, you’ll have bragging rights for the year!
- SUBMIT YOUR DESIGN: Email your design to email@example.com before 12 p.m. EST on 16 November. Include your name, address and phone number. The top three entries will be chosen by staff and then posted on our social media platforms (Facebook and Instagram: @usnaalumni) for Navy fans to vote for their favorite from 17-19 November. The winner will be announced on social media and this space (USNAAA website) on 20 November.
- DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS: Button dimension final trim size is 3.5 inches. Live content area is 2.75 inches (copy not to exceed this area).
- ACCEPTABLE FILE FORMATS: Artwork can be accepted electronically as a jpeg, tif, eps or PDF. Electronic files must be 300 dpi.
Contest open to all Navy football fans! Share as desired among friends and family. See the USNAAA official contest page for details. Best of luck to all competitors!
Due to ongoing limitations on outdoor sporting events in Pennsylvania, this year’s Army-Navy game was moved to West Point in order to ensure that the Brigade of Midshipmen and Corps of Cadets could be in attendance. See the Oct 23rd press release for more details and remarks by the athletic director and Superintendent.
No official decision on fan attendance has been made at this time, but it is anticipated that attendance will be limited to only the Brigade and Corps. The game will be televised as scheduled. GO NAVY, NAVY, NAVY! BEAT ARMY, ARMY, ARMY!
If you have or know any 6th – 8th grade girls who would be interested in this event, please share with them!
The U.S. Naval Academy STEM Center for Education and Outreach is hosting a virtual Girls STEM Day Saturday, Oct. 17, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. The event will take place live on their Facebook page and is aimed for 6th-8th graders who are interested in learning about how engineers and scientists make the world a better place for everyone using hands-on activities! 👩🔬📡⚙️🔬🩺 Keep an eye out for more information closer to the event!
(Original post: 30 September on official USNA Facebook page)