- 2022 Great Class Challenge: 16-20 May May 16, 2022
- Spotlight on 96ers Leading the Way: CAPT Dave Pollard May 16, 2022
- Brian Facquet Named to City & State’s Agriculture Power 50 (bonus Podcast) October 3, 2021
- New ’96 Hour: Tune in 24 September with Jenn Campbell and Patrick Shearon September 21, 2021
- Memorial Service for Mike ‘Gibby’ Gibson Held in Oklahoma on 18 September September 21, 2021
- In the News: Clint Tracy on Service and Being Overseas during a Pandemic September 16, 2021
- CAPT Tim Kinsella on Pensacola and the Boat School’s Impact September 16, 2021
- August Heralds a New Season of The New ’96 Hour September 16, 2021
- In the News: Two 96ers Among 2021 Navy Rugby HOF Inductees July 25, 2021
- Get Your Class Gear: Last Day to Order 18 July July 16, 2021
- 25th Reunion (10)
- 30th Reunion (2)
- 96 in the News (31)
- Announcements (30)
- Army-Navy (9)
- Class Project (14)
- Events (41)
- From the Yard (36)
- History and Traditions (4)
- Memorial (13)
- Networking (27)
- The New '96 Hour (9)
- Uncategorized (1)
Most Used Tages
Search the 1996 Site
Old copper salvaged from the ongoing USNA Chapel dome restoration is being repurposed into memorabilia now available for purchase. See the full catalog here, which includes jewelry, ornaments, framed art, and coins. Herff Jones is willing to assist classes in designing customized versions of certain items – like the coins – for our class, either by working with the class president or a designated representative. Please contact Nagel if you are interested in pursuing this.
Did you know that the dome has not always been copper? Short (but interesting) historic context: https://usnachapeldome.com/pages/history
Finally, Herff Jones is collecting personal stories related to the Chapel to be included on the Chapel dome website. If you have a story you’d like to share, please fill out this form or contact them directly.
Maybe it’s all the Tweets (and other social media posts) about Malcom Perry being drafted by Miami, and maybe it’s also being cooped up in my apartment missing all my peeps, but I’m ready for August – and some Navy football! So far, the season opener (Navy v. Notre Dame in Dublin) as well as the entire season are scheduled to occur as planned. In the spirit of optimism – and having something to look forward to – here are some football-related notes and reminders. Can’t wait to tailgate with many of you under the class tent this fall! Don’t forget Nagel is still collecting command coins for our bar top, so please reach out to him if you have one of yours to contribute. And bonus points to whoever comes up with a class tailgater facemask with a straw hole (or some other mechanism to drink through) – Brian Reardon, I’m looking at you!
- SEASON TICKETS – – – Get ready for game day and get those home game tickets here!
- PARKING – – – Don’t forget, if you purchase a parking pass and you’d like to secure a parking space next to our tent, please let Nagel know!
- DONATIONS – – – The tailgate is self-funded, and operating costs are much higher than they used to be. Contact Nikki Battaglia if you’d like to make a donation toward the cause. You can use paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org, Zelle to Nikki at (904)535-5810, or contact Nikki for other mechanisms. Your support is appreciated by many!
- SWAG – – – The Midstore might be closed, but some of you have likely seen the Go Navy sweat tees that a few of our classmates have ordered and posted about on Facebook. It’s not just another t-shirt… it’s a sweat-activated one! There’s a static N* on the front, but “Go Navy” shows up as you sweat. The more you sweat, the more you see – including a resounding BEAT ARMY on the back. They’re grey shirts that come in a men’s version, a women’s version, and a women’s tank. Order them here!
Related articles – – –
4/25/20 – Malcom Perry Highlight Reel from the 2019 season (navysports.com via YouTube)
4/25/20 – ‘Malcom Perry, the quarterback at Army’: ESPN host Trey Wingo gaffe draws strong reactions from Navy fans (Capital Gazette)
4/25/20 – Navy football standout Malcom Perry selected by Miami Dolphins in 7th round of NFL Draft (Capital Gazette)
4/25/20 – Malcom Perry Drafted in the Seventh Round by the Miami Dolphins (navysports.com)
4/23/20 – Malcom Perry and Keenan Reynolds to appear on WMAR-TV Draft Show (navysports.com)
4/22/20 – Ireland’s ban on large gatherings does not impact Navy-Notre Dame football game, Navy AD says (Capital Gazette)
2/5/20 – Navy football lands 85-member recruiting class (Capital Gazette)
Email sent via Classmail 4/24/20
Greeting ’96 Classmates.
I’m writing today to summarize today’s Council of Class Presidents (COCP) meeting. It was held on-line for the first time ever. And if you can imagine what it might like to have ~80 people on a VTC with Presidents 70-80-90 years old…it was probably worse. But also pretty comical at the same time. We had briefs from various people to include the Commandant of Midshipman.
USNA STATUS DURING COVID
- USNA opted to allow Midn to reside elsewhere. That was in some part due to the 2 x suicides of Firsties at USAF Academy. They were in some part attributed to their very strict isolation policies (they have since been relaxed).
- Most events are postponed or cancelled. Meetings, Commissioning Week, Dedications, Ceremonies, All Academy Challenge, etc…
- They have NOT determined how I-Day or plebe summer will be run yet. They are evaluating numerous options.
- Midn are continuing their education via on-line methods. They are also doing virtual clubs and physical fitness challenges.
- They gave restrictees the option to stay at USNA to work off their time or postpone their time and stay somewhere else. There are about 40-50 Midn currently in Bancroft Hall. A handful of Midn have been ordered to return to USNA due to liberty incidents. The group in Bancroft is basically the work detail to keep basic functions and maintenance going.
- They have stepped up rodent / pest control while Bancroft and King Hall are virtually empty.
- Many have asked why USNA is doing things differently than USMA and USAF Academies for graduation. The Dant said “each Academy has their own set of facts, assumptions, and variables” and therefore they may or may not follow suit with other Service Academies.
- They have NOT decided exactly how the virtual graduation will be held on 22 May. They are capturing lessons learned from USAF graduation.
- For now, the Navy / ND game is still on for Ireland but they are evaluating options.
- They are still trying to figure out next year’s plebe appointments with potential candidates that have not taken the ACT / SAT.
- The Class of 2020
- Of course everyone wants to “help” the Class of 2020 with their graduation. Based on USAFA graduation, they ask that classes not get out in front of USNA activities. Apparently, there was a lot of confusion and stepping on each other. As a class we do not have anything planned.
- They are also asking for any digital media (videos, pictures, memes, etc…). If you want to tag any, use #usna2020.
- Ultimately, the message from the Dant regarding graduation was to the effect of “it sucks but we are in the war fighting business and we are going to miss a lot of things in our career. Get used to it.”
- Orders to their first duty stations start getting cut next week.
NEW ALUMNI CENTER
The Mail Center and HAZMIN building / move has begun. This is a predecessor to the new Center construction.
- ~$22M building. ECD July 2022.
- Will have 2 event decks and can host a 240-person event.
They are still negotiating with Annapolis in parking and gate entryways.
SERVICE ACADEMY CAREER CONFERENCE (SACC)
They just hosted the first of the series online (Jacksonville) and was a success.
- Washington DC SACC is still planned June 11-12
- San Diego SACC is planned August 20-21
- Dallas SACC is planned October 29-30
Most of the copper from the dome has been removed. They have started making items for sale through a contracted company. (See https://usnachapeldome.com/) They will continue making items until the copper is gone. We could do a group-buy of custom ’96 copper challenge coins with a price point $120-125 per coin. If anyone thinks they can get a group buy together and would like to run that, let me know.
NEW ALUMNI-OWNED BUSINESS PAGE
If you would like to register your alumni-owned business with the Naval Academy Alumni Association & Foundation, you can go to their new page located here https://www.usna.com/alumni-
25 YEAR REUNION
Don’t forgot to mark your calendars for our 25 Year Reunion 01-03 Oct 2021. Expect everything to go “live” (Westin room blocks, registration, etc…) ~ Feb 2021.
Although times might be tough right now, don’t forget that you can still donate to the Class Gift. If you are on a monthly auto-donation, you can always increase your value just a little…maybe an extra $5/month.
As of now, it is still planned. Let me know if you have season tickets and want your parking spot at our tailgate.
- If you’d like to help out with the operating costs, feel free to contact Nikki Battaglia. You can send her donations via Zelle (use her phone number (904) 535-5810). We also accept paypal at usna1996tailgater@gmail. Contact her for other methods of payment.
- As a reminder, the tailgate is a completely separate account and self-funded through donations and we use no class funds to pay for anything.
With that, I’m signing off. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I’ll do my best to find an answer.
Believe it or not, August is right around the corner. So while you’re dreaming of spring, start dreaming of tailgates! Tickets are on sale for previous season ticket holders, the official schedule is out and it’s never too early to make plans to catch a game.
Priority deadline is 15 March for season ticket holders to maintain their previous seats. For details, see Navy Athletics.
If you haven’t had season tickets in the past, tickets go on sale 29 March for Naval Academy Alumni Association Life Members, 11 April for USNA faculty, staff and alumni and 23 April for general public.
Don’t forget Nagel is collecting coins for a new bar top to use under the class tailgate tent. Decals for the trailer are always welcome, too. Contact him for his mailing address. GO NAVY!
Email sent via Classmail 10/24/17
We had a successful Annual Meeting on Saturday at the tailgate. For those of you on Facebook, we pushed the video out on fb LIVE and last I looked, I think about 30 people viewed it. However, if you’d like to just read the minutes, I am emailing them out (see attached). A few highlights:
1) In response to many people’s request, Cara Albright has done a fair amount of work getting an official 96 WEBSITE up. This will be a good repository for those not on Facebook, AND if you are, it will be easier to find official information. Take a look and send suggestions to Cara. She has been pressing the Academy on adding features: http://1996.usnaclasses.net.
2) Since there has been some confusion, I wanted to clarify what constitutes being a “classmate”. According to the Alumni Association, it is anyone that raised their hand on July 2, 1992. It doesn’t matter if you graduated or not.
3) Thomas Leahy has already volunteered to run our 25th reunion.
4) We are still looking for Company Reps from 3, 7, 10, 12, 13, 26, 28, 29, 32, and 34. Please contact Shane “Bruce” McDonald at email@example.com if you are willing to spend a little time tracking down current contact information on a few company mates. This will help us straighten up the class registry.
5) Lastly, we plan on constructing a new bar for the tailgate and we would like to use YOUR COMMAND COINS in the top of it (your ship, squadron, or whatever coin means something to you). Drop me an e-mail if you need my address. You can also send a zapper for the trailer.
Go Navy, Beat Army!