News, Events & More
NCoS Call for Applicants: Multiple Disciplines
Jill (Quinton) Rough recently took a position as Director of Research and Analysis for the National Commission on Military, National and Public Service and is looking to hire new team members! Opportunities exist for folks in research, analysis, outreach (media/government affairs) or communications fields, per attached document. Feel free to share. Congrats, Jill!
Update: Army-Navy 2017
Three more days until we sink the Army, sink the Army grey! Here’s the latest gameday timeline from Navy Athletics:
This is the link to see the full email, which includes parking information and the stadium bag policy. Army-Navy 2017
See you Saturday at the game! BEAT ARMY!!!
Army-Navy 2017… HELM YEAH! BEAT ARMY!
Sir, you now have 8 days and a wake up until Navy beats Army in football, sir!!! It’s almost my favorite week of the year: Army Week! I’m sure you’ve all seen the HELM YEAH video circulating on social media, which is the latest in a series of installments we’ve enjoyed by ENS Rylan Tuohy and crew and I just can’t watch it enough times.
The T-shirts look wicked cool, and are still in stock as of today. I wasn’t quick enough with my trigger finger on this year’s Mules Can’t Swim tees, so I made sure I got one of these. Check ’em out here: http://www.rylantuohy.com/store
There’s a ton of events going on next Saturday, from our annual brunch at Tir Na Nog (approx. 0930) to the ESPN’s College Gameday broadcast just outside the stadium and a ’96 tailgater in Lot F. Bust out your cow bells, spirit buttons and goat hats and see you all out and about in Philadelphia! Stadium gates open at 1100, march-on of the Brigade is at 1215 and kickoff at 1500. Spirit gear is authorized… get pumped to BEAT ARMY! See you at the game, ’96!
Honoring Brian Hoke: 2017 Antarctic Ice Marathon
Check out Christy Dow Hoke’s South Pole marathon results from last week, when she ran 26.2 on the frozen continent to honor Brian and support the Navy SEAL and Third Option Foundations. BZ Christy, you are an inspiration to us all! Proud to call you family.
Army-Navy Tailgater in Philadelphia
Sir, you now have 10 days and a wake up until Navy beats Army in football, sir!!! Hope to see lots of ’96ers out and about in Philadelphia next Saturday for the 118th Army-Navy game. The wx forecast looks awesome, the uniforms look highly badass, and the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy is ripe for the picking! If you’re looking for a place to meet up with classmates, Johnny Hartnett is hosting an on-site tailgater this year prior to the game. Look for his setup in Lot F of Lincoln Financial Field starting at 1000 (map below). You can RSVP to him via the Facebook event he created on our class FB page, and he’ll also be tweeting gameday updates using #BeatArmy96 (or follow him @FlyNavyHartnett). BEAT ARMY!!!
Class Project Thought of the Day
Find yourself daydreaming at work thinking about the good old days on the banks of the Severn? Why not wander over to the HR department at your workplace and inquire about how to apply for corporate matching for your donation to our class project? Free money like this could easily double the impact that 1996 can make at USNA! Contact Brian Reardon if you have any questions.
Spotlight on 2017 Army-Navy Gear!
Officially licensed 2017 Army-Navy gear is available through classmate Rob Hubert’s online business. Shop https://www.thehungrypenguin.com/collections/mules-cant-swim before their awesome gear is sold out!
Beat SMU Tailgater – Saturday, November 11th
Join the Class of ’96 under our tent for the last home game of the season as Navy takes on SMU to avenge a series of bitter losses. Come out and get loud in the stands so we can pave the road to the only win the matters – an early December one! Our tailgate tent is located in Spot 12, which is the second site in from Gate 2 along Farragut Road. Look for the class crest on our tent, our flags flying high and the best party going on! If you can bring food or drinks to share, that’s great. If not, you can also chip into the kitty that helps cover the costs of tailgating. And if you don’t have tickets, we’ll be watching the game live via satellite under the tent. We have rope lights and heaters for after the sun goes down, so stop by before, during or after the game!
Kickoff is at 1530 on Saturday. Lots open at 0930 and stadium gates open at 1330. March-on is scheduled for 1510 with a flyover at 1520. Last home game of the season. Be sure to join us for some fun!
From the President: Annual Meeting Report
Email sent via Classmail 10/24/17
We had a successful Annual Meeting on Saturday at the tailgate. For those of you on Facebook, we pushed the video out on fb LIVE and last I looked, I think about 30 people viewed it. However, if you’d like to just read the minutes, I am emailing them out (see attached). A few highlights:
1) In response to many people’s request, Cara Albright has done a fair amount of work getting an official 96 WEBSITE up. This will be a good repository for those not on Facebook, AND if you are, it will be easier to find official information. Take a look and send suggestions to Cara. She has been pressing the Academy on adding features: http://1996.usnaclasses.net.
2) Since there has been some confusion, I wanted to clarify what constitutes being a “classmate”. According to the Alumni Association, it is anyone that raised their hand on July 2, 1992. It doesn’t matter if you graduated or not.
3) Thomas Leahy has already volunteered to run our 25th reunion.
4) We are still looking for Company Reps from 3, 7, 10, 12, 13, 26, 28, 29, 32, and 34. Please contact Shane “Bruce” McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are willing to spend a little time tracking down current contact information on a few company mates. This will help us straighten up the class registry.
5) Lastly, we plan on constructing a new bar for the tailgate and we would like to use YOUR COMMAND COINS in the top of it (your ship, squadron, or whatever coin means something to you). Drop me an e-mail if you need my address. You can also send a zapper for the trailer.
Go Navy, Beat Army!
Tailgater and Annual Class Meeting – Saturday, October 21st
Join the Class of ’96 under our tent as Navy rebounds from a tough loss at Memphis and challenges the undefeated UCF Knights in mid-season conference action. We’re still atop the American West standings, and the weather promises to be beautiful – so we hope to see lots of you out at the game! Our tailgate is located in Spot 12, which is the second site in from Gate 2 along Farragut Road. Look for the class crest on our tent, our flags flying high and the best party going on! If you can bring food or drinks to share, that’s great. If not, you can also chip into the kitty that helps cover the costs of tailgating. And if you don’t have tickets, we’ll be watching the game live via satellite under the tent. We’ll be hanging around for the post-game after party, too.
Kickoff is at 1530 on Saturday. We will be setting up the tent around 1000 and getting everything going early in preparation for the annual class meeting, which will be held at noon at the tent. March-on is scheduled for 1510 with an F/A-18 flyover at 1520. It is also Homecoming Weekend, so there will be lots of folks in town. Be sure to join us for some fun!
- All Academy Challenge: 31 May – 04 June May 31, 2018
- From the President: Class Project Update and MOU Signed May 29, 2018
- In Memoriam: Teresa Elders May 29, 2018
- From the President: Class Updates and Spring COCP Report May 29, 2018
- Service Academies Global Summit (SAGS) 2018 May 28, 2018
- Career Corner: LinkedIn Thought of the Day February 20, 2018
- Gear Up for the 2018 Navy Football Season! February 18, 2018
- 2018 Football: Navy vs. Notre Dame in San Diego February 18, 2018
- Article: Transitioning Advice for Former Military Officers January 4, 2018
- In the News: Kim Mitchell Rocks the House with VVSD January 4, 2018
- 30th Reunion (1)
- 96 in the News (2)
- Announcements (3)
- Army-Navy (4)
- Class Project (3)
- Events (9)
- From the Yard (1)
- Memorial (3)
- Networking (4)